Author has written 34 stories for Harry Potter, Bleach, Doctor Who, Naruto, Devil May Cry, Final Fantasy VII, and Soul Eater.
Name: Lady Salazar, just call me Sal
Location: The USA.
Reading (at the moment): HP crossovers, mostly, when and where I can. Also Fate/Stay Night and its crossovers.
Writing (at the moment): Crossovers, or crossover-inclined. Currently writing away on my HP/Devil May Cry crossover Do Unto Others. Status: beginning arc three of four, current word count 37685. To think this thing was conceived as a oneshot... but it -will- be completed before I begin posting. Another project is The Next Great Adventure, a HP/LotR genderswitch twoshot also at about 30k (at about 1/4 through the projected plot), and some notes have been drawn up for a HP/Warcraft crossover/fusion called Frostborn. This one may never see the light of day because it's ridiculously large in scope and I'm a very slow writer, reluctant to get sucked in to such a huge project.
Shipping: Straight pairings. GS-straight pairings. I think most pairings have potential if written correctly; the problem lies in cliche and annoying mischaracterizations rather than the characters themselves. That said, I've grown to highly dislike H/Hr. It's weird, because I'm a Hermione fan (actually, a true trio fan, which seems rare nowadays...), but I hate how 95% of H/Hr fics portray their relationship. Is it too much to ask for Harry to be, I dunno, himself, instead of an extension of Hermione's will? Not to mention how often H/Hr fics bash Ron... I'm really, really tired of all the Ron-hate.
Current favorite book: My E&M textbook. It gets worse! :P
Favorite book series: Harry Potter, Lord of the Rings. Both are brill. Badmouth them at your own expense. I'm also a fan of the Percy Jackson books. The movie made me read the books, even though I've never actually watched it, and now I probably won't, haha.
Favorite game: Final Fantasy X. I am a fan of FFVII; it's just not my favorite. Though I'm rather fond of DMC3, and hey, you can't be a nerd and not like Portal.
Guidelines for Crossover Fanfiction
1. Power levels must mesh. If doesn’t matter if you think universe A kicks so much more ass than universe B, crossovers where one side drastically owns the other are auto-fail. For believable conflict, and thus an interesting story, sometimes canon apparent power standards must be modified. Doing this heavy-handedly will make the other universe fans angry. Not doing it at all is worse. Just use a little logic, people. If the lead of one universe is nearing forty, and one’s a teenager, the passage of time alone allows for growth. Just because area-of-effect spells aren’t commonly seen in HP doesn’t mean there aren’t any. Hell, Pettigrew blew up a street and killed a dozen Muggles with one spell. I repeat: Pettigrew.
Example: Naruto ninjas have greater speed? Meet Harry Potter apparation. Why isn’t it used in HP combat? Well, think about it. Two wizards using apparation in a battle are going to basically have a high-stakes game of tag, based more on luck than skill. Sensible duelists are going to go for skill, thus minimal apparation. And there’s always the chance that one may be dueling within an anti-apparation ward.
2. Both universes must be present to some extent. In other words, a character crossplant is not a crossover. A boy raised in the ninja world called Harry Potter who’s not involved with Hogwarts, Britain, Voldemort, etc. is called an OC. Just because you call a random LotR elf ‘Harry’ does not mean it’s Harry Potter or a crossover. Call this the ‘if it looks like a duck’ principle. If it looks like a ninja, acts like a ninja, talks like a ninja, was raised like a ninja, and never had contact with magic or the magical world, it’s likely a ninja, not a wizard.
3. Share the pain, share the glory. Anakin Skywalker is the one Chosen to bring balance to the Force. Taking down Voldemort is Harry’s job. Even if it’s a HP/Star Wars crossover, and you think Anakin owns Harry, they are both leads and heros. Respect that, instead of flipping Harry the literary middle finger, and the crossover’s chances of being a success instead of auto-fail drastically improve. It’s one thing to expand a hero’s duty to encompass another universe; gloryhounding in favor of your preferred lead is an entirely different animal.
Corollary: Reincarnation-style crossovers can avoid this issue entirely, but only if done well and carefully. If Harry’s the reincarnation of Namikaze Minato, something of Harry must remain – he must still use magic, still interact with the wizarding world/Harry’s friends, etc. – or you have ventured into the land of lead-replacement, another auto-fail.
4. A crossed universe must be internally consistent. This consistency will usually come at the price of an altered canon, with alterations varying from minimal to great. Wait, Merlin was an Ancient? That’s kinda neat, but not HP-canon relevant. On the other hand, if the crossed universe involves Harry being a son of Sparda, then post-GoF canon is by necessity blown out of the water. One, because devils and demons will be a known if uncommon threat, and two, because the potential consequences of Voldemort’s rebirth are positively hellacious. Handwaving this is almost certainly auto-fail.
5. Good and evil are subjective. As easy as it is to draw lines in the sand, the Good Guys of respective universes are not always going to agree on what Good is. Sam and Dean Winchester kill supernatural stuff. Wizards are supernatural. Even more importantly, megalomaniacs out to enslave the world don’t usually team up. Use each other, yes. And even a megalomaniac out to enslave the world may find himself fighting with the forces of Good against a megalomaniac out to destroy it utterly. For a skilled writer, this can be very fertile ground. Very, very difficult to pull off realistically, yes, but to do so would likely transcend the bounds of epic storytelling.
Time between postings getting longer and longer? Oh, I must be knee-deep in university... or not. That's the common excuse, I think, but university doesn't have much to do with why it's taking so long. As indicated in my writing section, my current projects are simply getting ridiculously long. Both DUO and TNGA have been in the works for a long, long time, but recently I've been putting a lot of effort into DUO. I want it posted before I go gray!
Unsafe External Link