Poll: Are you a grammar Nazi? Vote Now!
Author has written 2 stories for Harry Potter, and Mass Effect.
I guess I'm kinda picky when it comes to reading fanfics, because I just don't like to read the stories with crappy grammar and tons of spelling errors.
I always appreciate input on fanfics I write, and feel free to send me a PM for any reason at all. Uh, I don’t post often because work.
Jumping right to the point: REVIEW. Writers –– all of them, from famous authors to subtle FF writers –– ALL depend on the feedback from our readers. Vision Dominican brought up an interesting albeit tragically true idea:
"Lack of reviews is the greatest killer of fan fic writers out there. We at the institute wish to let the public know of how they can pitch in to save our dying writers.
1) Drop a review every other chapter. It may not seem like much, but reviews are actually what many of us want to see. That, and hits. Hits do make us happy but we don't really know if people like our story or not.
2) Visit our author page. Those kind of hits really make us happy. It's where we showcase our entourage of friends, beta readers, and stories. Some of us even tidy up with set areas for upcoming story ideas and character bios.
3) Send a private message. While normally I'd prefer a review, emails are just as good. Really, it warms my heart to communicate with another reader or writer.
What you call being "too lazy to review" is what we call "a flame to the pages" as the writers. That one minute or two that you felt "too lazy" to review is another minute of creeping discouragement that all writers feel as they begin to think...
"Why am I even here…?"
"What's even the point of continuing?"
"My skills must be terrible... no one cares for my story…"
"I'll never be a good writer... I quit."
These are only a few thoughts that go through every writer's head – that go through MY head – when we put out a chapter / story with all our heart and soul within, and we sit there… and sit… and wait… and not a single person says even a word.
If you're not a writer, you have NO IDEA how much that hurts…
If you ARE a writer, then I'm sure you know just how great it feels when someone is kind enough to leave a heartwarming and encouraging review, and you read it, smiling while thinking, "Wow… I did it!"
So, why not give fellow writers the same luxury here?
Too many times I've seen epic and utterly beautiful works of literary art fall to pieces before finally being abandoned due to the terrible discouragement that the lack of reviews can cause.
Sometimes, it is so severe that the very writer himself decides to quit, denying the world their skills of writing that I am sure they would have deeply enjoyed.
Just one minute, that's all it takes. Just a few gentle taps of the fingers on your keyboard, a few seconds or so of your time, and your words can SAVE a writer from a dark demise.
Do me a favor: Go find a story, ANY story, anywhere here on Fanfiction, the internet, or some other place, and see if you can help it. If it has very little/no reviews at all, just check it out, and say whatever comes to mind.
And enjoy the thought in mind that you could have just SAVED that story, with just a few taps of the keyboard…
If you agree with what I have said then please copy and paste any part of this story you wish onto your profile. Modify it in any way you see fit; there is no need to use my exact words. You make it say what you want it to say.
Thank you so much for reading, and please try to complete the 'mission' I have given you. With just a minute of your time, you could save a writer. So, please, do it.
Because, my readers…
Silence is truly deafening.
The 25 Commandments of Fanfiction, or anything written in general-
People really need to pay attention to these. They are bolded for a reason.
1. Thou shalt not post a fic until it has been checked for grammar and spelling errors. The fanfiction gods hath given you a spellchecker on the computer for good reason. Use it.
2. Thou shalt not post a chapter of less than 300 words, unless it is a drabble. If thou breakest this rule, this displeases the masses.
4. Thou shalt NEVER use text-speak in a fic, unless the characters are actually texting.
5. Thou shalt keep to one tense, and only one, throughout the story, unless it is a flashback. Do not switch randomly.
6. Apply the above number 5 to POVs as well.
7. Thou shalt not get offended when someone makes fun of the crack pairing featured in your fanfiction. It probably is rather hilarious.
8. Thou shalt not use :), ;), or :( in a fanfiction to show the emotion exhibited by a character.
9. Thou shall try-eth to keep characters in character!
10. Thou shall not treat every criticism as a flame.
11. The author's note is not a spot for your personal drama, and thou shalt not make it so.
12. Thou shalt not put any form of the phrase "first fic" in thy summary. This turns away the ones who taketh this business seriously.
14. If thou art writing a story that does not follow the original story line, point it out in the beginning.
15. Thou shall not make a person randomly smart or powerful unless stating a reason for the change (Does not have to be a great-eth reason, though).
16. Thou shalt show and not tell.
17. Thou shalt not EVER use the phrase "I suck at summaries" in-est thine summary. This annoys thine readers.
18. Thou shalt not write the same way thou speakest –– writing is an art.
19. Thou shalt ALWAYS spell the word "okay" correctly. Using the letter "K" is an unacceptable compromise.
20. Thou shalt only use clichés when thou a.) art writing a parody or b.) find a new and interesting twist to make such clichés bearable to thine reader.
21. Thou shalt always separate dialogue from two separate speakers in two separate paragraphs. Otherwise thine readers shalt be confuse-ed.
22. Thou shalt not EVER make a chapter all one paragraph. THIS INFURIATES BOTH THINE READER AND THE FANFICTION GODS. They have given thee an ENTER key with good reason.
23. Thou shalt not write with thy caps lock on for extend-ed periods of time-eth. It displeases the masses, causes thy readers to lose their vision, and makes angels weep.
24. Thou shalt know how to spell the character's names correctly before thou writeth the fic. Misspelling the name of the main characters makes readers angry and distracts from the story.
25. Thou shalt not say in thine summary "summary inside". This shows lack of creativity and infuriates the masses. The only exception is when a summary is cut short and a continuation of it lies inside.
26. Thou shalt use paragraphs and space the story so it is not terrifyingly daunting to thine readers.
Agent Orange (10)
Alara Rogers (219)
Alex Ultra (21)
Andrew Joshua Talon (181)
Angel Baby1 (12)
Animus of Masada (9)
Anthony W (38)
Ashbel Longhart (11)
Assassin of RWBY (5)
Atlantis Sinatra (1)
Australian Chaos (10)
Author Tantei (2)
Cap'n Chryssalid (22)
Captain Alaska (59)
Center of the Galaxy (200)
Chaos Evans (21)
Christian Knight (9)
Cmdr. Gen. Marasco (25)
coat wreck (6)
Coeur Al'Aran (23)
Daniel Gallant (10)
Dario Soto (6)
Darth Marrs (23)
Dr. ForgottenFables (52)
Flux Casey (13)
general MB (11)
Gigi the Ragdoll (7)
Harry Leferts (9)
Iris Violetta (13)
JA Baker (289)
Kairos Impending (36)
Kryalla Orchid (49)
Less Wrong (1)
Levity Lirum (20)
Lord Dragon Claw (15)
Lord Wolfe (13)
May Wren (3)
Mister Grin (3)
Mister Vault 101 (5)
My Hero XIII (12)
Nassy Nyrolian (3)
Overactive Mind (10)
Pagen Godess (34)
Red Mage 04 (9)
Rin O' Gen (3)
Romulus Magnus (9)
Sage Thrasher (8)
Shadow of Light (18)
Shadow Rebirth (26)
Silver Pard (42)
Silver Queen (36)
Snake Staff (24)
Stone Elbow (2)
The 483 (35)
Trojan Seeress (2)
Vixen Tail (11)
Word Worthy (21)
Xavier Rall (11)