Author has written 10 stories for Dragon Age, Mass Effect, and Baldur's Gate.
I figure it's about time I actually set up some sort of proper profile. I have been writing fanfiction for over 10 years now, starting from year 2003. My first exploits were in the Baldur's Gate universe, but those stories are not posted on this website. In fact, considering they were my first efforts at writing, I'm rather ashamed and horrified of their quality! Some of my latest BG stuff, dealing with post Throne Of Bhaal expansion is significantly better, but I decided against posting it here because those tales are a sequel to my BG2 novelization and you readers would be missing an important context. I have recently started a brand new Baldur's Gate story which is not related to any of my older work. It's called Avenging Angels, so feel free to check it out.
As the general fan interest in BG and its fiction started to wane over the years, I used the launch of Dragon Age franchise in order to switch my field of operations, so to speak. Even though a proper DA:O novelization never saw the light of day, I wrote bits and pieces and it all led to Tranquility, a monumental retelling of Dragon Age 2, followed by its sequels Survivors of Kirkwall and now The Years Between, a story that I hope to tie in with the upcoming Dragon Age: Inquisition.
While waiting for DA:I to be released in the Fall of 2014, my Dragon Age stories are currently on the back burner, and for the moment all my writing efforts are concentrated on my Mass Effect stories. Rhapsody in Blue is a by now completed retelling of the entire Mass Effect trilogy that stretches a little past the Battle for Earth. A sequel to this story is currently in the process of being written and posted. Thessian Rhapsody deals with the events of the next two hundred years after the Reaper War and details the lives of Morgan Shepard, Liara T'Soni, and their family and friends. Rhapsody of Passion is a companion story to TR, featuring some of the more mature content and smutty scenes that didn't make it into the main story.
I'm in love with BioWare games and I think I have played most if not all of them over the many years. Some of the favorite titles and characters I love to write and read about are:
From Baldur's Gate - Love: Jaheira, Like: Edwin, Minsc, Viconia, Admire as a brilliant villain: Jon Irenicus
From KotoR - Love: Bastila Shan, HK-47, Like: Jolee Bindo, Juhani.
From DA:O, DA2 - Like: Morrigan, Varric, Merrill, Bethany.
From Mass Effect - Love: Liara T'Soni, Aria T'Loak, Like - Garrus, Mordin, Tali, Wrex.
GrumpyCat's List Of Annoying Things:
1) MaleShep. It just simply does not exist, despite rumors to the contrary. Let's not mention this abomination ever again.
2) Starbrat. Enough has been said already. The silly thing is that the endings might have actually worked (somewhat) if Starbrat hadn't been there at all. What a horrible device to 'explain' the possibilities. Remind me again why are we trusting this AI that Synthesis is the best possible outcome. Oh yeah. Because Starbrat says so!
3) Self-insert stories. I disagree with those published writers who claim that writing fan fiction does not make you a better writer. However, I agree that writing self-inserts does not make you better. You're not writing a character, you're essentially writing about yourself. There's facebook for that. And trust me, you're not all that interesting, and no, if this wasn't a wish fulfillment story, the canon characters certainly would not find you interesting either. Tough.
4) People who don't respond to reviews. And I mean, not just miss one or two now and then, but like, never respond to the feedback. Or never even acknowledge their readers in author's notes. Amazingly, a few of the very well read and respected authors on FFN fall into this category. I wonder if it's the 'oh, I'm so great and popular, I can get away with ignoring my readers and they'll still flock to me like bees to honey' complex. Let me spell it out for you: no, you're really not THAT great at all. You're just a fanfic writer. Get over yourself.
5) People who don't respond to reviews, and moan about not getting enough reviews for their stories. Anyone, see the connection? Or, alternatively... how about trying to review someone else's stories in return? Reviewing is a give and take. Oh, I can just hear it, waah, waah, but with work and family, I don't have time for it. Oh yeah? I have a job and family too, and I can respond to every review, and also read and review quite a few stories around here. Don't be lazy, don't make cheap excuses.
6) Artsy hipsters. Just wait for the real life to arrive and punch you in the face when you turn thirty, you pseudo intellectual twits. I'll be here, laughing how reading Oscar Wilde won't help you then.
7) Stories that describe the exact measurements of intimate body parts. I don't frigging care that your character is a member of the 12 inch club. Seriously. Nobody is interested in knowing that. It just makes the story and the scene completely ridiculous. Also, it possibly makes me want to shoot the character in question in the face.
8) Writers using the word 'arse' to describe the backside of a female character, especially during romantic scenes. I mean... really? Wow. I can't think of a better way to turn a deeply affectionate moment in a facepalm worthy giggle fest.
9) That boring dude that hangs around the Normandy is called KaidAn, not KaidEn. Really, after playing through the game for the tenth time, surely you have noticed his name? Even if he is boring like hell?
10) Don't make promises to review someone's stories when you have no intention to do so. That's just being a jerk, and make no mistake, people will remember it. Besides, there's really no reason to make these false promises. Speaking for myself, I don't review other stories because I expect something in return. However, whenever I lack free time and have to prioritize, I will always pick first someone who also reviews my stories. Reviews are like kindness and courtesy shown in appreciation of someone's hard work. If I can respond with the same, I will.
11) Misuse of OC's. Keep them to a support role, please. Trying to make them the main stars of the story will usually result in an embarrassing failure. Also, the OC/main character romances are usually poorly done and smack of self-inserts. Lastly, the trend of OC's being introduced and then dropping like flies while the writer is afraid to touch the canon characters is seriously annoying. Why should we care about your OC's if they're just going to die like damn redshirts?
12) Having spent some time in reading HP fandom, I can safely say that there's a special place in hell reserved for people who write rape stories. Throw incest onto that same pile as well, probably.
13) People who use word 'come' as noun. Thanks, but I just threw up all over your supposedly 'sexy' porn story. Not that 'cum' is any better, to be honest. Big turn-offs that both smack of juvenile vulgarity. Still better than the stories that turn sexual act into an anatomy lesson. But you know, in the same way that ANY romance is a better romance than Twilight, so it's not much of a compliment.
14) It's Divine, not 'Devine'. What the fuck is a Devine, anyway? I'll forgive those who truly are dyslexic, but to those who aren't and make this mistake... you suck.
15) Don't PM me to share your 'righteous indignation and disappointment with DAI'. I'm not interested. Go soak your head in the bucket of nostalgia of how DAO was the best game ever, and have fun replaying the massively RP-engrossing quests of Mage Collective and Blackstone Irregulars. Piss off and go whine on the BSN together with the rest of the patented pond scum. And die in a fire.
(List is work in progress. As a self-proclaimed GrumpyCat, I get annoyed with a lot of things, so this will probably grow quite large)
And finally, a few words about me, the person behind the written word: I'm a little over thirty, working in a very stressful environment on a 40h working week with plenty of unpaid overtime. What little energy I have left from work goes into gaming and writing, two things that work best to relax me.
Thank you for stopping by my profile page and hope you enjoy my stories!
Unsafe External Link